Classmate-Wearing-Yarmulka gets a job and passes the bar exam

Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Good News And The Really Bad News

From the New York Bar Exam website:

The Good News:
TISHA B’AV – The Board is aware that the first day of the July 2007 bar examination conflicts with the religious holiday of Tisha B’av. The Board has determined that any applicant who requires a modification of the dates of the July 2007 bar examination, because they observe the religious holiday of Tisha B’av, will take the bar exam on Wednesday and Thursday, July 25 and 26, 2007. The MBE will be administered on Wednesday and the New York section will be administered on Thursday.
The Really Bad News:
Due to the logistics and resources involved with administering the laptop program, the Board is unable to offer to applicants requiring the Tisha B'av accommodation, the option of using their laptop computer on Thursday, July 26 for the essay section of the bar examination. Therefore, all applicants requiring the Tisha B'av accommodation will not be able to participate in the laptop program and will be required to hand-write their essay answers.
Lord, this stinks.

6 Comments:

Why can't the bar be taken on Tisha B'av?
That sucks. Seems like it should be pretty easy to convince them to change their minds, though. It's obviously unfair and pretty much discriminatory.

Of course all the lawyers are on their side. ;-)
Why can't the bar be taken on Tisha B'av?

Technically, you can. But I can't imagine taking an all day exam without eating or drinking since the evening before.

That sucks. Seems like it should be pretty easy to convince them to change their minds, though. It's obviously unfair and pretty much discriminatory.

I'm not going to kick a gift horse in the mouth, I'm glad enough they're giving the exam on another day. It's a real pain to set up access for laptops for the exam. (They've been beta testing it for the last couple of years, allowing only a limited number of test takers to use one). Anyone who makes a stink about this is only going to invite trouble.

Of course all the lawyers are on their side. ;-)

LOL
Given the choice of using a laptop while fasting or hand writing while not, I'd take the latter. It doesn't seem all that hugely sucky. I mean, what did examinees do in the years before laptops? (Jeez, I feel like an old codger. Reminds me of an old Billy Crystal routine: "food? In my day we didn't have food. We ate fur coats, and we loved it!")
I think I might be on the other side of Nice Jewish Guy on that.

I took the bar on laptop (as well as almost all my law school exams) and I have say it was a HUGE advantage.

Possibly more important than clear thinking.

Think about it: even if you aren't thinking clearly, you can go back and change things around, outline first and type out of order, and you'll still have a great paper. Besides, once you lock in on the exam, you won't even realize that you're hungry and have a headache. But you can still type!

As long as you don't get physically sick from fasting, I would still rather type the exam.
I took the bar exam in Florida back in 1998. I have terrible handwriting and I'm a terrific typist. I so wanted to type, but I didn't have a laptop. I wrote the exam by hand. Worse, the desk I used was not an even surface, so it was even harder to hand write. I passed.

Just practice hand writing a few answers when you do your practice tests, and you'll be fine.

Best of luck on your exam.

Ari

Add a comment