Classmate-Wearing-Yarmulka gets a job and passes the bar exam

Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka

Monday, January 22, 2007

Enough Already

For some weird reason many Orthodox Jews seem to to take pride that Sacha Baron Cohen is a religious Jew. Every time he was mentioned in the papers, it always said that that he is "religious" or "observant". And every time I read that, I wanted to pull my hair out, because I simply didn't believe it. Somehow I couldn't imagine an Orthodox Jew dressing up in a thong or talking the way Borat does. Well now the record is straight. Cohen has finally done some interviews out of character.


Religion is observed in the Baron Cohen family but does not dominate. “I wouldn’t say I am a religious Jew,” he told NPR. “I am proud of my Jewish identity and there are certain things I do and customs I keep.”

It’s what you might call Church of England Jewish: he tries to keep kosher and attends synagogue about twice a year. Where possible he goes home on Fridays to observe the Sabbath with his family. Not that he gets home very often. He lives in Los Angeles with his fiancée, the Australian actress Isla Fisher (perhaps best known
as Shannon from Home and Away).


3 Comments:

Pfft, that article is totally wrong...

Isla Fisher is best known for her role as the crazy clinger in Wedding Crashers.


PS - Welcome back from your trip to Vail. I am smouldering with envy.
He lives in Los Angeles with his NON-JEWISH fiancée, the Australian actress Isla Fisher (perhaps best known
as Shannon from Home and Away).
He lives in Los Angeles with his NON-JEWISH fiancée

To be fair, she is converting to Judaism.

And again, I still say she's best known for her role in Wedding Crashers.

Add a comment