Classmate-Wearing-Yarmulka gets a job and passes the bar exam

Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Just Some Observations

I started reading and then having my own jewish blog as a way to pass the time during downtime at my summer job. For those of you who frequent Dov Bear you'll notice that I've had a lot of downtime.

Overall, the experience has be both fun and interesting. There seem to be a lot of quality blogs out there that are a pleasure to read and post comments to, especially when you don't agree with the the post.

But there is a dark underside in jewish-blogger land and it disturbs me greatly. Of course I am refering to the multitude of blogs by people who have parted ways with the Orthodox world.

I am not here to condem them, but I would like to say a few things.

  1. Somehow I doubt that the reason why you left the fold was because you were such a genius that had all of these brilliant questions that no one was able to answer. Nothing you have asked hasn't been asked before thousands of times; so stop patting yourself on the back.
  2. That being said, I'd like to see someone admit that they left because they gave into temptation. I won't yell at you for that, it would just be refreshing to see someone write that they went off the derech because they wanted to eat pork/sleep with a shiksa/turn the light on Shabbos/ party/ or just plain stick it to your parents. I'll respect you more for being honest than be in awe of you for having such mind-blowing "questions".
  3. A message to all those who left and have joined the religon of "Jewish Atheists"- there is nothing more pathetic than someone who actively believes in nothing. You don't want to be religous, that's fine by me. But to dedicate even a second of your life to futher your "belief" in the non-existence of God strikes me petty and slightly weird.
  4. My last comment is to all those who seem to revel in "shocking" their Orthodox readers with all the details of the escapades since they left. First of all, even if you were a born and raised Gentile, you shouldn't publish something like that- in the end, all is revealed and no one is anonymous on the Internet forever. You think you want your future wife/husband/boss reading what you like do in the privacy of your own bedroom? Second of all, you're not going to shock anyone with your tales of eatin a cheeseburger on Yom Kippur. Grow up. You don't want to be frum? Fine. But boasting of all the things you do now just proves that you are still in an Orthodox mindset- move on, get on with your life.
I thank you for your time.

3 Comments:

CWS, someone had to say it, and I commend you for doing so. (This is perhaps one of the first times as of yet that we agree with each other.)
Hey, nice going. Well written.
Very well said. Thank you.

Add a comment