Classmate-Wearing-Yarmulka gets a job and passes the bar exam

Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Affect World Opinion? I Don't Think So

Ezzie links to a website that automatically alerts you when there is an article, poll, and whatnot about Israel. The goal, I guess to try to influence world opinion. I think it's a waste of time, at least when it comes to online polls.

Every so often, I get a chain-mail breathlessly telling me that CNNMSNBCFOXBBCREUTERSAFP is having a poll about something about Middle East, and urges me to vote immediately. I never vote in these things. It means nothing. It's completely un scientific, and everyone knows that with an effective email campaign, you can totally skew the results. I doubt anyone who is on the fence will be persuaded by a CNN poll asking who's to blame for the current conflict in the Middle East.

If you get a phone call from a pollster, by all means answer the questions. If you see an article in a paper that you don't like, by all means write a letter to the editor. But don't waste your time (and my time by sending me emails) on online polls. They are no more important than a poll on ESPN asking if you think the Maddox trade was better for L.A. or Chicago.

2 Comments:

::talking breathlessly:: Please check out CNN's latest poll. Your right on!
Argh. That's not all this thing does... that's why I don't like their screenshot. Okay, I'm adding an update to the post in a few.

Add a comment