Classmate-Wearing-Yarmulka gets a job and passes the bar exam

Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

When Did It Begin?

I'm standing on the subway platform, playing with my new cell phone/PDA when a creepy old guy walks up to me and says- "You probably know. How many years ago did the Jewish religion start"?

Startled, I mumbled "about 4000 years ago", and then quickly walked away.

Which made me wonder- what exactly did he mean? The time when Avraham discovered God? Matan Torah? Bais Hamikdash?

It's an interesting question but does it even really matter?

1 Comments:

I think Yetzias Mitzrayim/Matan Torah would be the "most correct" answer to the question - insofar as that is the beginning of the identification of the Bnai Yisrael and the giving of the various commandments that make up our religious practice.

Add a comment